Monday, January 16, 2006

Health: Week 1

It's been a long time since I talked about taking on a healthier lifestyle. Nearly a year, actually. I think I'm ready now and I've finally come to a place where I've decided to give this health thing to God. I've been talking to my brother, Joe - we're going to be accountable to each other. We're going to pray. We're starting with a 24-hour fast this weekend - Sunday night to Monday night, where we'll be drinking only water. While fasting is a spiritual discipline, and when being used that way probably shouldn't be a weight loss method, we're going to use it as a chance to pray about it and let God know that we're turning this thing over to Him. We're even getting together a group of folks at church interested in doing the same thing. For what it's worth, I'm going to post my progress here. Maybe it'll give someone the motivation they need.

I don't intend to use any gimmicky diet plan. Just the common sense stuff: eat less food, eat less fat, eat less sugar. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Exercise. Eat less in the evening, more earlier in the day. And why's this going to work with so much failure in the past? Because this time I realize I can't do it. This time I'm not only going to be accountable to other people, but be accountable to God. When I rely on myself, I'll always fail. I have enough faith that this is the key that I plan to post my progress here. In front of God and everybody, so to speak.

I think this is important, from a spiritual perspective. To paraphrase Lauren F. Winner (in her article on sleep), God is helping me to understand health as part of faithfulness. I've been thinking a lot about the ways that my health is holding me back. I think it will make a difference.

I'm not really sure how this will go, but I'll keep you posted.

Week 1:
Current Weight: 273#
Total change: 0#

No comments:

Post a Comment