Thursday, March 17, 2005

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Isn't that the moral of the Hare and the Tortoise fable?

Does it sound weird to say that God is telling me to be healthier?

No, not in the I'm-hearing-His-voice-in-my-head kind of sense, but in the gentle guiding kind of sense. This is weird for me, coming from a background believing that God only talks to us through his revealed Word, The Bible; but lately, I've come to believe that He also guides us in our day-to-day life. This comes less in the form of God appeared to me or God told me, but more in the form of I believe God is guiding me or God has impressed it on my heart. Less a vocal directive, but more a subtle leading - something which I have never been open to before. I believe this kind of guidance comes with prayer, and with study.

Now of course, I understand that many would say, It's right there in The Bible; he's already told you: "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." (Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians)

I, however, think this is more personal, more guidance that I need to hear now in my life. I've never heard it before, but that may be because I've never been listening. And I've heard the moral of the Aesop's Fable over and over in my head. Recently, I checked out a library book of Aesop's Fables to read to my 2-(almost 3)-year-old daughter. There was a picture on the cover of the hare and the tortoise. Oddly enough, that particular fable does not exist within the book, which probably made me make more consideration of the moral than I would have otherwise.


So I think now, it's time to embark on a healthier lifestyle, understanding that it's going to be a slow process; that I'm not going to drop 50 pounds in the first 3 months; that it's something that I'll need to stick with, rather than something I approach as a temporary thing so that I can look better and feel better as soon as possible.

And the thing that makes me think that I will actually stick with it this time, is that it's really the first time I'm not doing it for myself.


Quote of the Day
Slow but steady wins the race.
-Aesop, The Hare and the Tortoise

No comments:

Post a Comment