Saturday, March 19, 2005

Danger in the Big City

The "Quad-Cities" area of Florence, Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, and Tuscumbia in North Alabama, or The Shoals, as it's commonly referred to, boasts about 150,000 people. It doesn't have the peril of a major city, like Birmingham or Memphis, but living in a city like Florence has it's own kinds of dangers.

I attended a movie tonight with Krista, along with my brother Joe, and his wife Cortnie, in the run-down Hickory Hills movie theater in Florence. When they recently put a new theater in town, Carmike finally changed the Hickory Hills theater to the $1.50 theater that it has deserved to be ever since I've lived in Florence. While we were getting our tickets and finding seats, I had been commenting to my wife on the scant clothing many of the women were wearing. As we were sitting, waiting for the previews to start, a man stood up a few rows in front of us - he had a desperate need for a belt. As he pulled up his pants, I leaned over to my wife and said,

That's the third time I've seen cleavage tonight, but I didn't need to see that kind.


I thought I had whispered it, but, apparently, based on the way he half-turned toward us and whispered to his wife, I think he heard me.

Yup - I'm turning into those old people who think they're whispering, but really, they're talking loud enough for the whole theater to hear. I think I'll be more careful in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment