Sunday, June 22, 2008

London

I was able to go to London a few weeks ago for work, and I promised to talk about it; even though I wasn't able to make it around to see much it was a pretty amazing trip.

I travelled there to speak, and that was a great experience in itself, but I have to share one of the other highlights.

I got to spend Wednesday evening in an English pub, watching Man U (that's Manchester United) trouncing Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League final. It was an amazing game. In case you're not familiar, a football (soccer) game consists of two 45-minute halves and both teams spend the entire time running up and down the field. When there's a tie, as there was this game (both teams scored once), there are two more 15-minute halves. When the game is still tied, it goes into penalty kicks. I couldn't find a good, succinct highlight reel from the game so I made one. (Watch through the finale - the penalty kicks are more exciting than you might think.) Enjoy! (Update - note how the cannons are synched up toward the end!)




Here's a pic from inside the pub where I watched the game.



Here are a couple bobbies across the street making sure the crowd doesn't get too rowdy.



And here's one of the outside of the pub - I can't remember the name.



Here are a few more pics. The first couple are at the Hurlingham Club, where I spoke, which is the first place polo was ever played. It's a beautiful area.





The Tube (Mind the Gap!)



And on the way home, I was able to snag a smoked salmon bagel (on a bed of Philadelphia cream cheese, with dill, black pepper, and lemon) in Heathrow airport. Mmmmm... (Ok, I'm not sure why I put this picture in here.)



And you know, I can't fathom what it's like for servicemen to come home after being overseas. I hadn't been gone long, and it was a good trip, but when the customs officer stamped my passport and said, "Welcome home," I nearly teared up...

It's good to be home.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed London. I didn't know you were a soccer fan. I bet it was pretty cool over in that kind of atmosphere...
    -Jud

    ReplyDelete
  2. More like, I'd like to be a soccer fan! :)

    This was amazing - you think the Alabama/Auburn rivalry is tough?

    They don't have any other sports...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for Manchester United. Thanks for the video. It was great. The place where you gave your talk looks like a large estate. Kudos to you. I see the pub is standing room only. So glad you were able to be there to see the finals. Sandwich bar lookes like Subway. Thanks for taking the time to share. Glad you had a good trip. Didn't quite get the same greeting when returning from Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete