Sunday, February 20, 2005

Would Bugs Bunny eat hasenpfeffer*?

Is anyone else disturbed by cartoons with anthropomorphic animals (so I looked it up to make sure I was using it right, ok)? My daughter just got done watching Oswald - a cartoon about an octopus whose friends include a penguin, a daisy, eggs, and a snowman. I started thinking about this a while back when a turtle (Franklin) on one of my daughter's other cartoons wanted a dog for pet. The whole thing just seems wrong. And then I wondered - do they eat meat? Does Oswald eat calimari, or would that be wrong? Would it be wrong for his daisy friend to eat vegetables but ok for her to eat meat? The whole thing makes my mind swim...

And how's this all different from what I grew up on? Maybe nothing - but I guess back then animation was more fanciful. Bugs Bunny spent less time teaching lessons about obeying your parents and being nice to other kids so he didn't have all the trappings of real life - house, family, pets...

Where am I going with this? I have no idea...

*BTW, hasenpfeffer is a type of rabbit stew. I had to look that up to even know what it was...

No comments:

Post a Comment