Friday, March 07, 2008

Florence Film Fest

The George Lindsey UNA Film Festival is this weekend. I was so excited about going - I took off a half day from work and everything. There was a screenwriting panel today, they showed the animated short films at Shaolin Computers this evening, Billy Bob Thornton is in town; tonight he did a discussion with some other folks who were in Sling Blade. And tonight there's a jam session with Billy Bob and some other artists. A full day of real culture in Florence, AL! For the past week, I searched high and low for a copy Sling Blade, since I've never seen it. I checked 7 rental places - the places I frequent in Florence, plus every place on Highway 72 between Athens and Florence. I checked Best Buy in Huntsville and Florence, Target in both places, and MovieStop (the used store) in Huntsville. Either they didn't have it, or it was checked out.

So, finally, I found it in a Movie Gallery in Madison. I picked it up last night. But I wasn't feeling well, so I went to bed early without watching it. And I was too sick today to go to work or to the film festival.

*sigh*

Maybe next year.

7 comments:

  1. Jim I'd probably put you under Best Daddy Blog. You talk about your kids enough....you're right though you are unique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey did you get to check out any events at the film festival?
    -Jud

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain on the being sick part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope - I didn't get out to anything.

    I guess I should feel lucky that I don't have a few more months of feeling sick :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim,
    Here's a probability question for you. What are the chances of getting all the picks correct on a NCAA basketball tournament bracket?

    If there are 32 games in the first round, then I was thinking it would be (1/2)^32 which would be 1/ 4.3 billion (with a B), for the first round alone. Is this correct? Have you ever thought about this before?

    -Jud

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm...that math sounds right to me (though you'd have to assume the teams are equally matched and that for each game you have a 50% chance of getting it right; I think).

    So then would getting the entire first and second round right be [(1/2)^32] * [(1/2)^16]? Or (1/2)^48? Or is it more complicated than that to throw in the 2nd round?

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's true. You would hope Duke would have more than a coin's toss chance of beating Belmont. After watching the game last night, I'm not so sure!
    At one of the sites where you create an on-line bracket I saw where they are offering $5 million to whoever guesses all the games right. That's what got me thinking about the probability...
    My chances for that $5 million are already gone out the window after the first day. Maybe next year...
    -Jud

    ReplyDelete