Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Sullying of a Classic

Well, last year I was able to watch the atrocious 2001 sequel to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys.

This year, I followed it up with another studio decision to trash one of my fondest childhood memories, The Year Without a Santa Clause.

Alternate title: What Happens When Chris Kattan, Eddie Griffin, Ethan Suplee, John Goodman, Carol Kane, Michael McKean and Delta Burke All Lose a Bet?

I guess it's technically not a re-make, both being based on a 1956 book, but there's enough in there to recall the wonderful 1974 TV special.

This version, however, is horrible. It gets increasingly difficult in a movie like this to point out what was bad. Poor writing, over-acting, bad directing. You name it, this film fails on every level. I'm wondering what could have convinced some of these actors (particularly the ones who are working now) to be involved in this. Maybe blackmail was involved.

Plus, I don't know if my Comcast ratings were off, but it's listed as "TV G". But this movie is so bad, I can't see it geared toward adults. On the other hand, some references should have pulled it out of "G". I thought a reference to South Park was odd, but it was just a reference. But then Jingle accuses Jangle of attempting a "booty call" and Heat Miser calls Snow Miser a "kiss ass". Is that "G"-rated stuff? Not to mention the sexy female dancers that back up the Miser Brothers. Or the clips of violent video games that are billed as the cool new Christmas presents. Whoever gives these programs their ratings must be sleeping on the job.

Don't see this film. Even for free (it was recently televised). I feel really bad for all the folks who rented this. I was at the movie store last weekend, and all the copies of this film were gone. It's not worth $3.75 plus the time wasted in viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment