Sunday, June 04, 2006

Deliverance


I just came in from standing outside in the rain. (See what the weather looked like here a little while ago.)

Standing there, with the water coming down, hearing the thunder, I thanked God for reminding me that He is sovereign. He is in control. The stress and anxiety that are attacking me from all sides lately. The minor illnesses that fatigue me. All of it will pass. All of it is part of His will. It's difficult to remember that. When you are actually "walking through the valley of the shadow of death," it's difficult to not be afraid. He doesn't cause it; and actually, a lot of it we bring upon ourselves. But He is still there. Sometimes I forget. I know that whatever is going on now shall pass, and I will get through it. Knowing that doesn't always make the pain go away, or free me from worry, but it's comforting.

I came in and read something my beautiful wife read to me a little while ago (well, after I took a wonderful hot shower and made some peppermint tea):

I cried unto the Lord with my voice;
With my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication.

I poured out my complaint before Him;
I shewed before Him my trouble.

When my spirit was overwhelmed within me,
Then Thou knewest my path.
In the way wherein I walk
Have they privily made a snare for me.

I looked on my right hand, and beheld,
But there was no man who would know me:
Refuge failed me;

No man cared for my soul.

I cried until Thee, O Lord:
I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion
In the land of the living.

Attend unto my cry,
For I am brought very low:
Deliver me from my persecutors;

For they are stronger than I.

Bring my soul out of prison,
That I may praise Thy name:
The righteous shall compass about me;
For Thou shalt deal bountifully with me.


Normally I don't prefer The King James Version for reading, but I love its language when I read the poetry in the Bible. This is Psalm 142, written by David, while he was hiding out in a cave from King Saul.

1 comment:

  1. You continue to amaze me with your depth...now I know why I was so smart 15 years ago in the cafeteria. There was a glimmer of this you on that day. God has blessed our family immeasurably more than we could have ever imagined. I pray for you darling. I know you will soon be well. Keep your voice loud and strong!

    ReplyDelete