Sunday, November 13, 2005

double-u double-u double-u

I sometimes love the fact that if you are looking for something on the internet, you don't even have to use Google. Just type in just about anything you're looking for, but a "www" in front, and a "com" in the back, and voila! There it is. Not being able to find a word in Miriam-Webster's on-line Thesaurus, I typed in www.thesaurus.com and found the word I needed in seconds.

If you have no idea what a company's or a movie's website is, you often don't have to know it's address; just sandwich it in between those 6 letters and there it is. It doesn't work all the time, though. Looking for the website for the movie Sideways, I tried sideways.com and sidewaysmovie.com, before I finally had to use Google to find it at www.foxsearchlight.com/sideways. And I won't even go into the story about the woman I work with that found out the hard way (at work) that you need to type in the full name to get to the website for Dick's Sporting Goods (www.dickssportinggoods.com). But it tends to work more often than not...

Have I asked this before: Ain't the internet grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment