Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Bad Friday Home

Friday was a crazy trip home. No delays the whole day; I thought I was home free when we were in the air on the way the way to Huntsville. A little too optimistic it turns out.

When I made it in the air with no problems from the St. Louis and Cincinnati airport, I thought all risk was behind us. Learn something new every day. I should've known something was up when they asked for volunteers to move to the back to "balance the plane.". I moved to the back since I'd have the seat all to myself on the crowded plane.

First problem. I moved back to the back row. Next to the restroom. The restroom smelled like pee. So I settled my into the seat, thinking that if I could ignore it, it might be a trade off (I need to lose some weight - these airplane seat belts are getting a bit too tight).

Second problem. We flew through a storm. I don't ever think I've ever experienced such bad turbulance. Or maybe just not on such a small plane. At one point, we jumped so hard it felt like we hit something. It even woke me up from my nap.

It did clear up and the rest of the flight wasn't too bad.

Third problem. We finally landed. But it was storming so bad that they wouldn't let the workers get out the ramp for fear of getting struck by lightning. So 90 minutes on the plane, waiting out the storm. I think I'd have gone stir crazy if I hadn't had my iPhone. You may have seen nearly an hour-and-a-half of solid activity from me on Twitter.

This us the storm we were waiting on.

Fourth problem. We finally got off the plane and trekked down to baggage claim where they announced those ramps were closed and we'd have to wait for out bags. 45 minutes of that, and we finally get our luggage.

Fifth problem. I forgot on which level I parked. I was pretty sure it was either 4 or 5, but I couldn't quite recall. So I tried the 4th first and got it right on the first try.

Sixth problem. I couldn't remember where I put my parking ticket.  You know - the one that says on it, "If you lose this ticket, pay maximum amount." I didn't know what that was, but I knew I didn't want to pay it. Finally, I found it buried in my notebook.  *whew*

Seventh problem.  Storms again.  At least 3 times on the way home, I hit spots where visibility seemed like it was about 20 feet.  Which is pretty dangerous when you're doing 70 mph.  (That was the speed limit!)  Suffice it to say, I slowed down a bit, but when you're just wanting to get home, slowing down is that much harder. Visibility was good in this picture compared to other times that night.

Eighth problem.  Pulling into Florence, coming down Hwy 72, about where it turns into Florence Blvd - I'm in the right lane, and somebody from the other side of the street decides he wants to make a left-hand turn, cuts across all the lanes right in front of me. In the pouring down rain.  While I'm doing about 50 mph.  Good grief. Krista gets mad at me when I lay on the horn, but I just do it when people do something really stupid.

I finally made it home OK - though it was about 4 hours later than I planned. 


  1. I heard about all the troubles! Crazy! Hopefully when you come home this week it won't be as bad.