Saturday, April 29, 2006

Chicken Poop on My Windshield or The Eternal Struggle Between the Flesh and the Spirit

I was driving to work this morning (or as it's technically 3 hours into Saturday, yesterday morning), and I got behind a chicken truck. You know, those trucks with 1,000 cages filled with 10,000 chickens, all crammed together on top of each other. I honestly started to feel sad for the chickens. That just seems like a crappy existence. But, as I was trying to get around the truck (which seemed to speed up every time I tried to pass), I received a white splatter across my windshield. I was taken aback. I was feeling sympathy for you, and you pooped on my windshield. I couldn't believe it. But then I realized that if they knew I was feeling bad for them, then they also knew that it wouldn't last. Feeling bad for somebody's situation does absolutely no good if you're part of what's causing the situation itself. And the fact that I'd probably be eating chicken hours later pretty much indicated that I didn't really feel bad for them.

I'm currently out of windshield wiper fluid (though it's been on my wife's shopping list for a couple weeks), so I got to drive with it for awhile. And it got me to thinking.

That's my whole existence. Thinking something one minute, then acting the opposite the next. Feeling bad for crowded chickens now, enjoying the fruits of the crowding while eating my next batch of wings. Thinking, what an awesome creation God has given us, while riding home the night before, then cursing the poor drivers who drive too slow on alternate 72 toward Tuscumbia. Machiavelli said:
...people are fickle by nature; and it is simple to convince them of something but difficult to hold them in that conviction...

It's so true. Paul said,
I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway.

Look at Peter. One minute he was attacking an entire crowd of armed men to protect Jesus, the next he was, with curses, denying he ever knew Him.

Jesus told us,
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

I guess this is when we need to rely on His strength to overcome our weakness.

I think I may just leave it on my windshield for some time as a reminder.

Quote of the Day
My power is strongest when you are weak.
  -What God told the Apostle Paul when Paul prayed for God to take his limitations away

No comments:

Post a Comment